Soy is a complete protein, and soyfoods are rich in vitamins and minerals including folate, potassium and, in some cases, fiber. In the past 15 years, soyfoods have attracted the attention of research scientists around the world for health properties beyond basic nutrition as well.
In India we popularly hear & eat out aloo tikki (potato pattie). Could be in chaat or in burger, it’s mostly tend to be there. So here I come with a healthy version of aalo tikki (potato pattie) by adding Soy to this.
1 cup Soya mince
1 cup boiled & grated potatoes
3/4 cup finely chopped onions
1 tsp finely chopped garlic
1 tsp chopped green chillies
2 tbsp chopped mint leaves
2 tsp red chilli powder
2 tsp amchur powder (dry mango powder)
3 cubes of processed cheese
1 tsp garam masala
Salt to taste
Oil for shallow frying
1) Soak Soya Mince in Hot water for 10 min.. They will soften up after soaking.
2) Drain out Water and squeeze out rest of the Water from Soya Mince.
Squeeze out all the Water from them. Once done, keep them aside in a sieve to dry.
3) Now add boiled Potatoes, Ginger, Green Chili, Onion, Garlic & Mint leaves in soya paste.
4) Add Salt, Red Chili Powder & Garam Masala. Mix well. Once mixing is done, we will start making the Tikkis. (Add breadcrumbs if required)
5) Take small amount of mixture in your hand and try to give a round shape.
6) Once you achieve a round shape, press to make a small hole in it & add small cube of cheese in that. Cover the cheese well by making it a ball shape, press it a bit from the center with the help of your palm.
7) You can make more tikkis from the rest of the mixture in similar fashion.
8) Take a frying pan with flat base, add enough Oil so that your at-least half of the tikki’s height is submerged in oil for shallow frying. Heat it on high flame.
9) Oil will take about 3-4 min. to get hot. Now turn the stove on medium flame and add Tikkis carefully.
10) Fry on Medium flame only. Once you see the bottom turning golden brown, flip it to fry from other side too.
11) All Tikkis have achieved the golden color, now take them out of the Oil & put it on a paper towel to soak the excess oil out.
12) Soya Tikkis are ready to enjoy with any Sauce of your choice like, Amchoor/Tamarind Sauce, Coriander/Mint Sauce,Tomato Sauce or cheese sauce as shown in the picture.
You can also try with bread or Chhole.
If you sandwich the Tikki in Bread, you will get Tikki Toast. Or if you sandwich it in the burger then you will get Burger.