Pumpkin is one of the very low calorie vegetables. 100 g fruit provides just 26 calories and contains no saturated fats or cholesterol; however, it is rich in dietary fiber, anti-oxidants, minerals, vitamins. The vegetable is one of the food items recommended by dieticians in cholesterol controlling and weight reduction programs.
Pumpkin is a storehouse of many anti-oxidant vitamins such as vitamin-A, vitamin-C and vitamin-E.
At 7384 mg per 100 g, it is one of the vegetables in the Cucurbitaceae family featuring highest levels of vitamin-A, providing about 246% of RDA. Vitamin A is a powerful natural anti-oxidant and is required by the body for maintaining the integrity of skin and mucusa. It is also an essential vitamin for good visual sight. Research studies suggest that natural foods rich in vitamin A may help human body protect against lung and oral cavity cancers.
It is also an excellent source of many natural poly-phenolic flavonoid compounds such as a, ß carotenes, cryptoxanthin, lutein and zea-xanthin. Carotenes convert into vitamin A inside the body.
Zea-xanthin is a natural anti-oxidant which has UV (ultra-violet) rays filtering actions in the macula lutea in retina of the eyes. Thus, it may offer protection from “age-related macular disease” (ARMD) in the elderly.
The fruit is a good source of B-complex group of vitamins like folates, niacin, vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine), thiamin and pantothenic acid.
It is also rich source of minerals like copper, calcium, potassium and phosphorus.
1 packet button mushrooms sliced
5-7 green onions chopped
2 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp dhania jeera powder
2 tbsp Kissan tomato purée
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt to taste
1) Heat oil in a non-stick pan & drizzle the chopped onions for a minute. Add the diced pumpkin & sprinkle with a little water over it, cover the pan & let it cook for 10 minutes.
2) As the pumpkin’s being cooked, take tomato purée in a bowl & mix all the dry spices in it & keep it aside.
3) Add the mushrooms to the pan & keep stirring till it’s soft & brown. Add zucchini & cook for 5 more minutes. Add tomato purée & mix everything well.
4) Let the spices cook for 5-10 minutes with the veggies.
5) Turn off the heat & serve with Roti, Naan, Parathas or just fill it in a pita bread & enjoy.