Lentil (Masoor) Biryani
2 cups Basmati Rice
1/2 cup Whole Masoor
2 Onions (sliced, crisp fried)
1 Onion (finely chopped)
2 tomatoes finely chopped
3 tsp. Garam Masala
1/4 tsp. Turmeric powder
2 tsp. Red Chilli powder
2-3 pieces Dalchini
2 Bay leaves
3 tsp Ginger-Garlic paste
3 tbsp. Vegetable Oil
1 cup Yoghurt (beaten)
1/2 cup milk (dissolve saffron)
* Soak Masoor for 1 hour in hot water and cover the container.
* Heat oil (2 tbsp) in a pan. Add finely chopped onion. Fry till golden brown.
* Add ginger garlic paste. Fry for a minute.
* Add chopped tomatoes followed by turmeric, red chilli Powder, garam masala, masoor and salt to taste.
* Fry for 5 minutes.
* Add enough water & cook till masoor is soft.
* Add yoghurt and cook for two minutes.
* In a separate vessel, heat 1 tbsp of oil and fry cloves, dalchini, tejpatta. Add salt to taste.
* Add rice and fry a little. Add enough water (double that of rice). Cook till rice is done.
* Strain the rice and spread in a plate.
* Mix together chopped cilantro. Chopped mint leaves and fried onion. Set aside.
* Take a heavy bottomed vessel and spread a layer of rice. Cover with masoor masala and alternate rice and massor masala a couple of times.
* Top with saffron milk and ghee.
* Cover tightly and place in a warm oven for about 20 minutes.
Serve this with some cold Greek yogurt!
For the non-veg lovers
Add marinated & boiled separately mutton pieces along with the Masoor. Add the mutton stock along and let the lentils cook in that stock.