Delicious, savory pan-fried Chickpeas Cakes, flavored with garlic, cumin and paprika and fried in olive oil.
I often serve these chickpea cakes as a side dish, but they are substantial, nutritious and filling enough to serve as a meatless entree.
* 1 carrot (medium size grated)
* 1 garlic clove
* 1 cup chickpeas soaked overnight
* 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
* 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground coriander
* salt & paprika
* 1 large egg (optional)
* oil (for frying)
1. Peel the carrots, grate them coarsely and set them aside.
2. Peel and roughly chop the garlic.
3. Drain and rinse the chickpeas and put them into a food processor with the garlic, ground spices, salt and pepper. Slightly process to obtain a rough paste then add the carrot, egg, and flour and process briefly until evenly mixed but slightly rugged.
4. Heat the oil in a frying pan and divide the mixture into 8. Fry in batches for 2–3 minutes on each side, until golden, then drain on kitchen paper.
5. Serve with mustard sauce, hot sauce & coriander chutney. And of course a dollop of fresh Greek yogurt makes this absolutely nutritious.
If you have any leftovers, they are wonderful the next day, gently reheated in the microwave.